Friday, August 19, 2016

Missing Japan

I've been back in American a couple weeks now and still haven't gotten used to things again. I thought i'd come home and everything would be like it was. I was so wrong. Even though I was born and raised in America everything seems strange to me now.
  Some of you may think i'm crazy, and i wont lie. I might be! Even though i was only gone 6 weeks i don't look at everything like i used to anymore. I look at the way children treat there parents, the way our schools are, even our public transportation and think "Thats not how its supposed to be.".
 I know, i'm american, in america. I should be used to this. But something inside me keeps comparing everything back to Japan. I miss being able to take the trains by myself and not worry about my safety ( Not that i live in a bad neighborhood or anything, but America is completely different when it comes to crime).
  I miss having my host mom cook my meals, and not eating fast food or whatever delivers to my area. I miss being able to walk down the street to the train station and be able to get where i need to by train. Here I have to ask my grandmother to drive me.
  My life in Japan made me so independent. I didnt need to ask for anything. Now im back home i just feel so strange.
  I miss Japan with everything in me. It hurts sometimes. I even have a terrible habit of responding to my american family in... Wait for it.... JAPANESE!  My entire time in japan i was struggling to grasp the language, but what i did learn stuck with me, and now my family is being forced to learn it because i reply in Japanese out of habit. Especially when im still half asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment